Date: Fri 02 Mar 2018

Derby clash gets FAW Women’s Cup semi-finals underway

The first of this season’s FAW Women’s Cup semi-finals takes place this Sunday, as Swansea City and Port Talbot Town meet in a derby clash at the KYMCO Stadium in Bridgend.

The clash is the third time that Swansea and Port Talbot have met this season, having played each other twice in the Orchard Welsh Premier Women’s League. The sides met in the derby clashes either side of the Christmas break, and whilst the Swans eventually ran out comfortable winners in the first meeting, the second meeting has arguably had a massive impact on the shape of the league table going into the home straight of the campaign.

Port Talbot Town 0-4 Swansea City – Sunday 17th December 2017

The visitors came into this one having lost their previous two games, in the League at home to Cardiff Met, and in the League Cup against Cyncoed. Town meanwhile had lost their previous three. That would become four, though they made the Swans work for the points.

After the first half ended goalless, Katy Hosford opened the scoring for the visitors on 53’. Emma Beynon, restored to the starting line up for Swansea, doubled the lead on 77', before Jodie Passmore netted three minutes later to make it 3-0. Hosford's second of the game in the final minute wrapped things up. That result meant that three points separated the Swans and Met as the top of the division at Christmas.

Swansea City 2-2 Port Talbot Town – Sunday 14th January 2018

That gap was still in place when the sides met again four weeks later at Llandarcy, when for only the second time in the campaign Swansea dropped points in the league after the visitors staged a second half comeback. Kelly Newcombe put the Swans in front on 19' converting Katy Hosford's cross. Sarah Adams then went close before striker Jodie Passmore doubled the home side's lead.

All seemed to be going to plan for the hosts until Vicky Stratton pulled one back on 63', her shot from the edge of the area finding the back of the net. The visitors then found their equaliser with six minutes to go, Jesci Hare's free kick leveling things up. Passmore then went close towards the end, but her shot went narrowly over. Port left with their first league points since their win over Caldicot in October, giving caretaker boss Hayley Williams a great platform to kick-start from when she was confirmed as permanent manager the following day. For Swansea, the draw left them five points behind Met, going into a meeting with them two weeks later.

As of Friday evening, the game is still on, but anyone planning on attending is advised to check the FAW website or @FAWales twitter feeds first.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel