Date: Mon 04 Sep 2017

Orchard WPWL MD 1 Round-Up

The 2017/18 Orchard Welsh Premier Women's League kicked off this weekend. Read on to see how the sides got on.

Abergavenny Women FC 4-2 Llandudno

Abergavenny got their campaign off to a winning start at home to Llandudno. Maxine Mudge put the home side ahead in the 15th minute, with Kate Jeremiah doubling the lead five minutes later. Two further goals in quick succession sealed the win after the break, Jeremiah doubling her tally on the hour mark and Laura Jane completing the scoring for the hosts three minutes after. Katie Bowe and Kelsey Davies netted late on for Llandudno but it wasn't enough to capture a point.

Caldicot Town 1-5 Rhyl

Newly promoted Caldicot Town had a start to forget as they lost at home to Rhyl. Young forward Emily Jones stole the show for the visitors, completing a 22-minute hat trick either side of half-time to take the game away from the home side. Rachael Lloyd added a fourth on 63', and Amy Webster finished off the scoring for Rhyl with seven minutes to go. Shauna Pentney netted for Caldicot in the closing stages.

Cardiff City 4-1 Caernarfon Town

The other newly promoted side Caernarfon also fell to an opening day defeat away at Cardiff City. City enjoyed the better of the opening period but the visitors defended well until they were caught out by two set pieces, Siobhan Walsh and Shannon Evans both finding space in the box to head home on 26' and 32' respectively. Evans then broke free to double her tally and extend City's lead on 42'. Both sides had opportunities after the break, and Montana May eventually scored Cardiff's fourth goal on 84'. The visitors did find the net before the end, Charlie Smith scoring in stoppage time.

Cyncoed FC 2-3 Port Talbot Town

There was late drama on the other side of the capital in Llanrumney as Cyncoed looked to have rescued a point in injury time at home to Port Talbot, only to concede again in the final minute of the game. Goals from Rachael Ball and Terri Beddows gave Port Talbot a 2-0 lead at half time, but a Fern Burrage penalty on 64' pulled one back for Cyncoed. Chelsey Harris was then sent off for Port Talbot with five minutes remaining, before Jess Williams equalised on the breakaway in the 92nd minute. There was one final twist to come though, as Jessica Denscombe scored a minute later to seal the win for the visitors.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel