Date: Mon 04 Dec 2017

Swans crash out of League Cup

Cyncoed and Rhyl caused surprises in the League Cup on Sunday with away wins at Swansea City and Port Talbot Town respectively, to claim their place in the semi-final, along with Abergavenny Ladies and Cardiff Met Ladies.

Swansea City Ladies 2-3 Cyncoed Ladies

Swansea's Kelly Newcombe in control v Cyncoed (Photo: Swansea City)

Swansea's Kelly Newcombe in control v Cyncoed (Photo: Swansea City)

The 2016 League Cup winners Swansea City were beaten in a five-goal thriller by Fern Burrage's Cyncoed in an exciting cup tie at Llandarcy. Ian Owen's Swans led twice in the match, before a late strike from Cyncoed skipper Gwen Davies stunned their hosts.

The home side took an early expected lead as striker Stacey John-Davis stabbed home from close range in the 7th minute to beat Wales goalkeeper Laura O'Sullivan - A feat that hasn't occurred in Wales' last four international qualifiers.

Cyncoed equalised for a first time in the 38th minute through Lauren Harris, following a goalmouth scramble and the scores remained level at the break.

Long-serving midfielder Sarah Adams restored the Swans' lead with a low strike just six minutes after the break, but a second equaliser was scored by Rosina Hill who beat Swans' stopper Gemma Border from inside the box just four minutes later.

The final say belonged to the capital-city side as Cyncoed's captain Gwen Davies - who won her first Wales senior cap this season - scored with an impressive lofted strike in the 86th minute.

Port Talbot 1-2 Rhyl (AET)

Rhyl came from behind to win a tense battle at the GenQuip in extra-time in a match which saw three red cards. Jesci Hare gave the hosts an 18th minute lead, before Rhyl's Cassie Thomas was shown the red card in the 34th minute.

However, the game turned in the Lilywhites favour as Hare was sent-off for a second yellow card, before debutant Laura Mae Walkley was shown a red card for foul and abusive language to the Rhyl dugout. Rhyl equalised in injury time as Emily Jones scored to send the tie to extra-time and Tom Jamieson's side ensured the long trip back north was a happy one, thanks to Jones' winner in the last minute of extra-time.

Abergavenny WFC 4-1 Cardiff City

Richie Jeremiah's side booked their place in the semi-final with a convincing win over the Bluebirds. The 2015 Champions took the lead through Kate Jeremiah in the 8th minute and doubled their advantage when Maxine Mudge scored in the 26th minute. The visitors pulled one back through Shannon Evans just after the half-hour mark, but the Gwent-side scored twice after the break again through Jeremiah and Mudge to seal a safe passage to the next round.

Caldicot Town 0 - 3 Cardiff Metropolitan

A Jas Simpson brace, as well as an Erin Murray effort, ensured the holders progressed against a spirited Caldicot. The game was closer than the result suggests, with the students scoring twice in the last fifteen minutes to seal the win.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel