Date: Mon 06 Nov 2017

WPWL League Cup Round-Up

Capital gains as Met and City progress

The two ties in Round 1 of the WPWL League Cup went the way of the home sides yesterday, as Cardiff City and Cardiff Met progressed into the Quarter-Finals.

Cardiff City 3-1 Llandudno

City overcame a tough battle against Llandudno to book their place in the next round. Chelsea Cochrane opened the scoring on 12', latching onto a loose ball on the edge of the Llandudno area and curling a first time shot into the goal. City then missed a couple of opportunities to extend their lead before the visitors equalised moments before the break, Katie Bowe deftly floating a free kick from out by the touchline into the top corner.

Both sides had chances to take the lead at the start of the second half, notably the home side who in the space of a minute hit the bar, post and had a third chance cleared off the line. Minutes later though they were in front, Shannon Evans finding space inside the box to slot home. Llandudno pushed for an equaliser, but it would be Evans again who wrapped things up on 90', getting on the end of a cross and poking the ball home from 6 yards out.

Cardiff Met 6-1 Caernarfon Town

Any hopes the visitors had of pulling off an upset were dealt a major blow early on in this game, as Met raced into a 3-0 lead with just 10 minutes on the clock. Jasmine Simpson opened the scoring on 3', and then doubled the lead two minutes later, before Robyn Pinder made it three on 10'. That's how it stayed until the break, and the visitors looked like they had a way back into the game through Ffion Owen's free-kick on 48', but Tija Richardson repsonded instantly to restore Met's three-goal cushion. Two late goals from Erin Murray and Pinder again gave the scoreline some gloss as the holders progressed.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel