Date: Sat 06 Apr 2019

Met seal third League Cup title

3-1 win over Swansea keeps Treble and unbeaten season on the cards

Cardiff Met 3-1 Swansea City

Cardiff Met won the WPWL League Cup trophy for the third time after beating Swansea City 3-1 in a competitive Final at Stebonheath Park in Llanelli.

Goals from Alice Thompson, Madison Schupbach and Alice Griffiths took Met to their second trophy of the season, leaving the possibility of the treble on when they meet Abergavenny in next week's FAW Women's Cup Final.

A late consolation from Katy Hosford came too late for the Swans, who had threatened throughout the match.

Swans had started the brighter of the sides. Sophie Hancocks had the first half chance of the game, just missing Lauren Hancock's cross.

Alice Griffiths then fired just wide for the Archers, before Met took the lead on 16'. Schupbach put Swans' keeper Gemma Border under pressure, and her rushed clearance went straight to Olivia Thompson, who lobbed the ball back past Border into the goal.

Swans looked to edge their way back into the game, but found themselves two down just after the break. Schupbach picked up control of the ball from a Swansea throw in on the edge of the latter's box, and turned to deliver a rasping shot past Border into the far corner of the goal.

Stacey John-Davies forced Estelle Randall into a good save, before Border was called upon to deny Robyn Pinder at the other end.

Lauren Smith headed a Hosford corner wide for Swans as they chased a way back into the game, but with six minutes left Alice Griffiths fired in a third for Met to put the game to bed.

Swans did get a consolation, Hosford's long range effort spilled by Randall before crossing the line, but there was no way back during injury time and Met's quest for the treble remained on track.

Don't worry, we hate spam as much as you do. We will only send you the latest updates and anything we think you will enjoy reading about.

Hit enter to send your tweet

Go to Youtube Channel